Whether you are coming to Russia for a short business trip or for a long-term work placement, its important to stay connected with your colleagues and partners who are located overseas. You could use Facebook to do that, but then it wouldn’t be so professional in 2017 or after, since most of the professionals now use Linkedin exclusively for business purposes.
Although LinkedIn is blocked in Russia, it doesn’t mean you can’t use it, you just have to try a little harder to get connected.
In this post I will show how you can use LinkedIn and make sure you are always using a secured connetion for your personal and business uses.
1. What’s VPN
If you don’t know whats VPN or never used it, you will not realize how great are the pros of using VPN
- Online Anonymity. Through a VPN in Russia you can browse the web in complete anonymity. It provides a higher level of security that allows you to access websites and applications in Russia in complete anonymity.
- Advanced Security Protection. When you connect to the network through a VPN, the data is kept secured and encrypted. In this way the information is hidden away from hackers eyes.
- Access Public Wifi. With a reliable VPN provider you can go on public WiFI without worrying about hackers, and you can connect to a remote server securely.
- Unblock websites & bypass filters. VPNs are great for accessing blocked websites or for bypassing Internet filters. This is why there is an increased number of VPN services in Russia used to censorship of sites like LinkedIn in Russia.
If you want to know how the law on VPN works in Russia read this article by BBC.
2. Choosing the Right VPN Provider in Russia
If you already have a VPN and can access LinkedIn (and other blocked sites) then you can skip this part.
But for the most of you who don’t have I would advice to read this post about the state of VPN in Russia.
In short, I have partnered with VyprVPN (Golden Frog) who are one of the leaders in the VPN market, not only they have 800 server location around the world. But their VPN is so good that it can bypass Chinese Firewall which is considered to be the most powerful firewall in terms of internet censorship.
I have used VyprVPN to access LinkedIn, Spotify and other censored websites in Russia. Although a speed gets slow once a day (if its longer contact their technical support which is really good) but its normal in the industry, but the rest of the day I have no trouble using the VPN.
You have the option to choose the server location from which you want to connect, where in my personal opinion I found the UK and Czech servers to be really great with speed. Finally, their app is available on all smartphones, tablets, PCs and laptops.
If you are not sure, the company currently offers a free trial and if you decide to sign up for a yearly package you will get THREE MONTHS FOR FREE.
Again, its up to you to decide which VPN service in Russia you want to use, just giving here my two cents.
3. Connect to LinkedIn
Now that you have set up your VPN let’s try to connect to LinekdIn.
So without a VPN, you would probably be seeing below picture on your laptop:
Let’s try and connect to VPN
And now lets try to get access to LinkedIn again:
So as you can see it works perfectly fine.