A latest survey by Internations has ranked the countries based on how expats, who live there, are satisfied in terms of quality of life, ease of settling in, personal finance, work environment and family life.
Guess which place, Russia took? 47…
It might surprise some and others would say that its a well deserved place for Russia.
However, if the results are compared with the last year’s figures, Russia has improved a lot with13 points jump from the last year’s 60th place, which shows that Russian government and community are making the location more appealing to foreign professionals.
Without further adieu, lets go into details by each category.
Quality of Life 47th Place
- Transport 27th Place – its a good point, but take note that most of the expats might have been surveyed from Moscow and Saint Petersburg where transport is more or less developed, compared to remote areas like Sakhalin or Yakutia.
- Personal Happiness 43rd Place – shows that most of the expats are not enjoying their stay here.
- Leisure Options 47th Place – well thats a bummer!!? Russia has been always known as a country with many leisure activities whether its outdoor, clubbing..
- Health & Well-Being 47th Place – well we currently see a higher increase in private clinics open and entrance of foreign insurance companies into the market.
- Safety & Security 50th Place – thats below Uganda which took 49th Place, which might be due to high drug usage and crime rates.
Ease of Settling In 56th Place
- Feeling Welcome 47th Place – It might not always be the case, but some people see Russia in grey colors with socially closed people.
- Friendliness 59th Place – Russian tend to be much friendlier when they get to know you a little closer
- Finding Friends 36th – Its easier to find friends in Russia then in Poland…
- Language 65th – well that was expected.
Working Abroad 16th
- Job & Career 16th – Russian O&G industry is fueling a lot of investments by MNC therefore the demand for High Quality Specialists in the region remains in strong.
- Work-Life Balance 39th – Probably due to many expats working in the Oil & Gas industry where shifts can go on for 6 weeks on and 3 weeks off.
- Job Security 53rd – its not necessarily caused by the downturn in the economy but more of political situation which prohibits certain country nationals to work on certain projects (Unconventional Projects in Oil & Gas)
Family Life 27th
- Childcare Education 30th – Russia has variety of international schools which provide quality education to the expat’s kids
- Cost of Education 17th – Caused by devaluation of Ruble which made education cheaper.
- Quality of Education 24th – Schools aim to higher foreign personnel
- Family Well-Being 39th
Overall Russia is doing quite well under current economic and political turbulence, again some people might like it and some might prefer other places. Share in comments section on your experience based on the above criteria if there is something to add…